FoodARC seeks Communications Assistant
Download a PDF version of this job posting.
The Food Action Research Centre, or FoodARC, is a research centre at Mount Saint Vincent University committed to research and action to build food security in Nova Scotia and beyond, grounded on four pillars of activity: participatory action research, capacity building, sharing knowledge, and advocacy.
This fall is an exciting time for the projects based at FoodARC. We are planning new communications initiatives to share the results of several years of research on food security and policy change in Nova Scotia with stakeholders and the public. We are seeking a part-time student as a Communications Assistant to support these initiatives through traditional and social media (this will include updating the website, Twitter and Facebook pages). You should be someone with passion and experience in communications, and an interest in food security and/or social justice is considered an asset.
This role will support FoodARC staff and volunteer team members in planning the launch of a communications strategy and the release of a major research report, including planning for media-related events at a national conference in November to be held in Halifax. The role will also include tracking and evaluating communications activities.
- Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree (or in progress) and/or experience in a relevant field, such as Public Relations, Communications, Journalism, Health Promotion, etc.;
- Strong communication skills & an ability to engage diverse audiences, including creating plain language materials;
- Experience with web and social communication tools and software (e.g., WordPress, Twitter, Facebook). Some basic training in WordPress can be provided;
- Experience in media event organizing and media outreach;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (including Word, PowerPoint, Excel) and Adobe software (e.g., InDesign);
- Specific experience and/or interest working in food security; and
- Interest in, or experience of, participatory action research methods and/or experience in working with communities.
- This position will report to the Project Coordinators located at FoodARC at Mount Saint Vincent University, with some flexibility to work from home as appropriate.
Hours & Start Date: 10-15 hours per week. This contract runs from September – December 2014, with the possibility of an extension.
Hourly Rate: $14-$16/hour, depending on background and experience.
How to Apply
Please prepare a cover letter (addressed to: Selection Committee) and résumé in one electronic file (pdf is preferred) to email@example.com . Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. For more information, please see https://foodarc.ca.
Closing Date: September 8, 2014